Welcome to Bournewood Health Systems.
Bournewood Hospital is an independent psychiatric hospital located in Brookline, Massachusetts, providing mental health and chemical dependency care for adults and young people.
Bournewood Hospital has been in continuous operation since 1884, and over the years has earned its reputation as a leader in the psychiatric and chemical dependency fields. The Hospital strives to blend personalized care with the latest treatment advances in order to remain current in today’s fast-paced medical environment. Situated on twelve acres of beautifully landscaped and wooded property in Brookline, Bournewood's picturesque setting provides a pleasant and secluded feel to its campus, which complements the emphasis on nurturing and support in all of its programs.
Bournewood Hospital's treatment programs span a broad continuum of inpatient, partial hospital and intensive outpatient services, enabling patients to enter the system at any point in their illness and experience seamless care as they progress in their recovery. Guiding their progress are experienced and collaborative treatment teams consisting of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, rehabilitation therapists and medical and other specialists as appropriate and necessary.
In 2013, the Hospital underwent a major building project on its historic site to add a new 30-bed freestanding adult intensive inpatient psychiatric treatment unit. This unit is one of the most modern in the state.
Bournewood is also proud to offer:
- Round the Clock Care. We have a psychiatric physician on campus 24 hours per day, 365 days a year, which enables Bournewood to evaluate and admit patients at any time of the day or night.
- Compassionate Treatment. Our highly trained staff members incorporate the latest psychological and psychopharmacological approaches to best meet each individual’s unique needs.
- Commitment to Education and Training. Relationships with a number of leading colleges and universities in the area allow Bournewood to serve as a training site for students interested in the medical and psychiatric fields. These teaching affiliations bring a fresh perspective and enthusiasm that enhances the patients’ experiences.
- A Promise of Excellence. This assurance carries through all that we do. Bournewood meets Massachusetts Department of Mental Health (DMH) and Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)/Bureau of Substance Abuse Services (BSAS) licensing standards, and has earned Joint Commission accreditation for meeting the national standards for patient safety and quality of care. Bournewood is also certified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). In addition, the Hospital meets all quality outcome measures as required by certain insurance companies and managed care organizations.
- Convenience. In addition to the services offered on the Hospital’s Brookline campus, Bournewood also offers an adult partial hospital program in Woburn, outpatient services in Brighton and has affiliations with several outpatient practices and sober homes in the Greater Boston area.
To learn more about Bournewood Hospital and its programs, call 24 hours a day at (617) 469-0300, ext. 3620 (the Admissions Office).
Chairman and CEO of Bournewood Health Systems
Recognition for Bournewood Hospital
Bournewood Hospital's long-standing history and its New Dr. Nasir A. Khan Building was recently featured in Inside Healthcare (Summer 2013).
Bournewood Hospital's 125th anniversary milestone was recently recognized by both the Honorable Deval L. Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts and also the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) with special Citations.
You can also learn about Bournewood's history in Boston: City on a Hill, published by the American Historical Press.